Cats Are Obligate Carnivores
Unlike dogs, which are omnivores, cats are obligate carnivores. This means that their bodies have adapted to a diet consisting strictly of meat, which provides animal protein.
Domestic cats are very similar to their wild predecessors and have evolved very little from them. In the wild, a cats diet consists of mainly small rodents, such as mice, as well as rabbits, birds, insects, frogs, and reptiles.
A cats metabolism is especially suited to a strictly meat-based diet. While herbivores and omnivores can synthesize certain amino acids, which are the building blocks of proteins, cats have more limited ability to do so.
How To Read Your Cat Food Label
Food labels contain a lot of information but not all of it is very useful or even relevant for pet parents. This can make reading pet food labels quite confusing and even lead to you buying the wrong type of food for your cat. To make the matters a little easier for you, here are the key elements to look for on your cat food label:
- Product name
This should clearly tell you the type of cat food a product is and may indicate the key ingredient or flavor of the food .
- Net weight
While how much food is in the packet might not bother your cat, it helps you to budget and ensures that you don’t run out.
- Statement of intent or purpose
This should clearly state that the product is for cats and the age/stage of cat that it is intended for. It should also clearly state whether it is designed to meet any specific needs, such as weight management, hairball control, for older cats or indoor cats etc.
All cat food must list its ingredients clearly in decreasing amounts by weight. So, the first ingredient on the list is the top ingredient in most high-quality foods this is protein from a named meat or fish source. Protein should feature in at least the top two ingredients, but the more the better.
- Guaranteed analysis
- Feeding directions
This should tell you how much to feed your cat depending on their age, weight, and lifestyle.
Purina Cat Chow Grain Free Real Chicken
Purinas Cat Chow Naturals is one of the best selling dry cat food around. It contains natural fiber, made with real chicken and turkey. This gives your kitty the energy she needs. It is mixed with natural fiber blend helps to control hairball.
This US made dry cat food contain no artificial flavors or preservatives. So, you can feel completely safe while serving your cat. It has a complete and balanced formulation which makes it best for the adult cat and for their health.
Purina Cat Chow comes in different variety of flavors and formulas. Cat Chow also has a healthy formula for Indoor Cats.
It helps to promote a healthy weight for a healthy lifestyle. Therefore, it becomes a healthy weight control food for your cat.
What Nutrients Does My Cat Need And How Should I Choose The Best Cat Food
Here are some important nutrients that your cat needs:
- Protein for energy and growth
- Fats for energy and transporting nutrients
- Fibre for better digestion
- Minerals for bone formation and strengthening the immune system
Aside from ensuring your fur baby receives these nutrients, you also need to consider about the catâs age and its lifestyle when it comes to choosing the most suitable cat food.
For instance, young kittens typically need more protein and fat than adult cats. Indoor cats on the other hand, which often move less, require less fats but should have more fibre intake.
If you are a new cat parent, congratulations! Check out these must-know tips for first-time cat owners.
If we missed out any of your go-to cat food brand, feel free to let us know at .
*All information shared above is true at the time of writing. If you find any inconsistencies or inaccuracies in the information above, feel free to contact us at and let us know!
Best Dry Cat Food In 2021
November 12, 2020 by Kristen Torres
As a pet owner, it is our responsibility to give the best food to our cat. Sometimes choosing the best cat food for our cats is a typical decision to make. Because of it being less expensive, simpler to store, and slower to die out in the open when contrasted with wet cat foods. There are advantages and disadvantages for both dry and wet cat food.
Dry cat food requires extra attention to hydration. They are best to use in combination with wet cat food or a good water source.
Indeed, even the most ideal dry foods need extra care for hydration. However, theyre ideal for use in a mix with wet food or some water sources. Many cat owners prefer dry food because it is easy to store.
Numerous proprietors have worries over nourishment with regards to picking dry cat food over wet. By choosing the respected brand you are ensuring, that your kitty is getting healthy and nutritionally complete food.
There are many high protein wet cat food brand available in the market. But, when it comes to choosing the best cat food for our feline friend. We always take caution, we want to give our cat best out of it.
We have done complete research for you. Here a table of our favorite 10 dry cat food and their protein and nutritions count.
Recommended Reading: Can You Buy Nutrisystem With Food Stamps
We Looked For Foods That Emphasized High
Cats have some of the highest protein requirements of any species on Earth. Indeed, cats need about 2 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight.
Anything less leads to reduced lean muscle mass and, potentially, weight loss. Cats should eat high-protein foods composed of at least 50% protein on a dry matter basis.
But remember that not all protein is equal. It comes in many forms. Some are readily available to your cats body. Others arent. For example, both leather and eggs are high in protein, but the eggs biological value is a bit higher.
We dont know exactly which protein sources are most digestible for cats, but we do know that as obligate carnivores, cats seem to get the most out of animal-sourced protein.
We also know that muscle meat and organs are rich in beneficial protein, while other animal parts are less biologically available.
For those reasons, we looked for foods that prioritized animal-sourced protein from clearly-named sources like chicken, turkey liver, eggs, and other high-value animal parts.
While some plant proteins are virtually unavoidable in the dry food space, we gave lower grades to products that contain large amounts of protein from peas, soy, corn gluten meal, and other plant sources.
Because excessive carbohydrates can spike your cats blood sugar and increase his risk of developing diabetes, we looked for low-carb recipes.
Specific Protein Source In Ingredients
With so many cat food brands offering and advertising high protein formulas, you need to make sure theyre being clear about where that protein comes from.
Simply saying that its sourced from meat is not sufficient, its best to look for products that explicitly list the source such as salmon, lamb, chicken.
Bonus points for those brands that list even more specific organs, liver for example.
You May Like: Which Protein Powder Can You Buy With Food Stamps
Active Vs Inactive Cats
The activity level of your cat has a lot to do with the food you select. If you have an extremely active cat, you will want to give them a food that is high in calories, carbohydrates, and protein. They will need the extra oomph to replenish their bodies of the nutrients they deplete.
The opposite is true of sessile housecats. If you have a lackadaisical, nap-loving feline, they wont need nearly as much caloric intake. But they will need an adequate amount of fiber so that their digestive tract operates efficiently.
An imbalanced diet on either die of the spectrum can make your kitty too thin or lead to extra fat.
The Best Dry Food For Kittens
- When buying kibble for your cat, be sure its formulated for kittens by reading the label.
- Look for language that says the food satisfies the nutritional requirements set by the Association of American Feed Control Officials Profiles for growth or for all life stages. AAFCO members regulate pet food at the federal and state levels.
- While large quantities of food may seem like a good deal, dry kitten food should be used within two months of opening the package.
- To keep your kittens dry food from rotting, keep it in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight.
- Keep the original bag or container tightly closed.
All of these kitten foods selected by us below have received positive feedback from customers and have the following things included in it:
- High in protein.
- Moderate levels of animal fats.
- Vital vitamins, minerals, fatty acids, and amino acids.
Be careful to choose a diet that is appropriate for your cats age, weight, and health status from our list of suggestions.
What Is The Best High Protein Wet Cat Food
For many cats, wet cat food is the right choice. It is still important to choose one with a lot of protein. There are many great wet cat foods out there. Some that are worth mentioning are Wag Wet Cat food that includes a lot of great real meat, and a good budget choice is Meow Mix Seafood Selection.
Often an even better choice is to get fresh cat food delivered to your doorstep from for example Nom Nom.
How To Choose The Best Food For Your Kitten
When it comes to reading labels on kitten food products, we recommend the following guidelines:
- Pet food ingredients are listed by weight.
- The main mass of the cuisine is made up of the first three or four ingredients.
- Meat should be near the top of the list: first or second in canned foods, and certainly in the top three in dry foods.
- Look for a product that complies with the Association of American Feed Control Officials standards . Formulated to meet standards or animal feeding tests utilizing AAFCO protocols will be the language.
Read Also: Does Nutrisystem Accept Ebt
Purina Pro Plan Critical Nutrition Cat Food Best For Weight Gain
Whilst the vast majority of cats are overweight, there are a few who need a helping hand with their weight gain. This is especially true of cats who have been ill, or who have recently been rescued. This food is high calorie at 208 kcal/5.5 oz can, meaning even cats who struggle to eat much should be able to get their daily calorie allowance. Its even been formulated with a smooth consistency in case syringe feeding becomes necessary.
Please note it is very important to follow your veterinarians advice when it comes to your cats weight. Most healthy adult cats do not need to gain any weight, but if youre not sure then your vet will be able to tell you whether theyre at an ideal weight or not, or you can read our guide below. If you think your cat is losing weight you should also take them in for a check over, as many medical conditions can contribute to weight loss, and simply feeding more will not correct the problem.
Wherever Ive worked as a vet, we always have this on the shelf or in the back office. Not only is it ideal for inpatients being fed after surgery but its ideal for cats presented with vomiting and diarrhea, as it is easy to digest.
- Stew texture can result in pickiness
Best Senior High Protein Cat Food: Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Mature Pate Wet Cat Food
The needs of senior cats are somewhat different from those of their younger counterparts, and Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Mature Pate Wet Cat Food is formulated to cater to these needs. It contains 8% crude protein and 36% on a dry matter basis, which isnt the highest of all wet foods but stands up alongside the protein content of high protein dry foods. Although grain-free, this food contains potatoes, which wed prefer to do without.
That aside, its a very good food overall and tends to be palatable, even to picky cats. The pate texture is perfect for seniors who are struggling with dental issues. Chicken is the first ingredient, plus it contains DHA from fish oil, which can improve cognitive function to support brain health as cats age. It comes in either 3 oz or 5.5 oz cans, with 24 to a pack. The smaller cans cost $28 and the larger cans cost $30, so it works out far more cost-effective to buy the larger cans.
Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Mature Pate Wet Cat Food Key Features:
- No artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- No poultry by-products
- Contains no corn, wheat, or soy
Read Also: Where To Buy Trimino Protein Infused Water
Instinct Ultimate Protein Grain Free Wet Cat Food
Instincts Ultimate Protein high protein pate cat food is designed to fuel your kitty with unprocessed, whole, lean meats. Packed with 11% pure protein and superfoods like pumpkin and kale and antioxidant-rich blueberries and cranberries, Instinct takes the most wholesome plant and animal ingredients to provide a balanced high protein wet cat food.
- Real meat and animal proteins
- No gluten, grains, corn, soy, wheat, or meat by-products
- Good for cats of all ages
- Some cats may not like the texture
- Not appropriate for cats with fish allergies
Purina One Tender Selects Blend High Protein Dry Cat Food
- Got 2nd position in the list because this recipe is crafted with all purposeful nutrition for your feline partners whole body and lifelong health.
- Moreover, the deliciously crunchy meaty Tender kibbles are made up of real salmon as the #1 ingredient to satisfy your cats cravings.
- Additionally, it helps to maintain a healthy immune system with an antioxidants-rich mixture of vitamins A & E and other nutrients.
- Finally, it helps develop a healthy coat and skin with omega-six fatty acids plus vitamins and minerals.
Don’t Miss: Are Protein Shakes Covered By Ebt
Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Dry Cat Food
- Top of the list because this high protein dry cat food supports and maintains the lean muscles of your cat with a real packed duck.
- Moreover, it helps to promote the active lifestyle of your feline with healthy carbohydrates like peas and sweet potatoes.
- Additionally, it nourishes the coat and skin health of your cat with omega 3 and 6 fatty acids.
- Especially to build a healthy immune system of your cat buddy with LifeSource Bits formula.
- Furthermore, this recipe helps in healthy digestion and nutrients absorption with natural fiber sources and high-quality protein.
- Finally, it helps to maintain the ideal weight of your feline with carefully balanced calories obtained from fats and protein.
Taste Of The Wild Rocky Mountain Grain
This is a high protein balanced diet Grain free cat food from Taste of the wild. It contains real animal protein including chicken meal, salmon. They have natural flavoring. It is proving 390 kcal per cup of nutrition.
This cat food is formulated with novel proteins including roasted venison and smoked salmon. It has included with peas and sweet potato which deliver highly digestive energy to your cat. Essential minerals and amino acids are the main ingredients of this cat food, which makes it a complete and balanced food for your cat.
Natural grain free diet: Nutrient-rich and the highly digestible recipe, it made with a proprietary probiotic blend to help support your cats digestive health
It has Omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids that also promote healthy skin and coat for your cat. This is made in the USA by a family-owned company proving most scientifically advanced food safety. You can get in many sizes.
42% min Crude Protein and 18% min Fat
With Omega-3, Omega-6 fatty acid and Taurine
Life Stage: Adult
Read Also: Whey Protein Food Stamps
Instinct Ultimate Grain Free Natural
Instinct Ultimate Natural Cat food is the very first cat food product with raw coated Kibbles. This means the kibble pieces in this cat food are all coated in freeze-dried raw ingredients. Thus it provides an absolutely delicious and equally healthy diet and a flavor your cat will always crave for.
In addition to being perfect for cats of all ages, these high-protein cat products come with 3 times more real chicken. Which is more than what you get in most of the other cat foods. As against having vegetables, by-products, or other animal meals as your main source of proteins, chicken promotes digestibility which helps to maximize nutrient absorption in cats of all ages.
- Contains probiotics and omega 3 and 6 acids including the corn wheat or soy
- Made with pure raw ingredients for high protein cats
- It is high protein cat foods together with the tapioca starch
- Fruits and veggies in this food are non-GMO, but there might be ingredients on the list that arent
Advantages Of High Protein Cat Food:
There are numerous benefits of using a high protein cat diet.
- Protein has a key role needed for the balanced growth of cellular material
- Amino acids, like taurine, are crucial for many functions of cats organisms
- Proteins are what claws, fur, muscles, and skin are made of
- Proteins are required to form hormones, enzymes, neurotransmitters, and some parts of the immune system.
- A protein-rich diet mimics your cats natural diet out in the wild
- It reduces diabetes risk in felines
- It helps reduce obesity in cats. Feeding a low protein diet with a lot of grains can promote obesity among the domestic felines. This is why a high protein grain free cat food would be beneficial for your pet
If you are looking specifically for cat food that has increased amount of amino acid taurine we have prepared a list of cat food with taurine for you.
Read Also: What Protein Powder Can You Buy With Ebt