Why Are We Reviewing Vegan Protein Powders Today
In this day and age, its hard to keep up with everything that you have going on in your life while managing to get your protein on. Sometimes you just gotta reach for that vegan protein powder to supplement your daily intake. That could be for gains , basic nutrition or whatever nutritional goals you may have.
Today, were focusing on vegan plant-based protein powder, but there are others on the market with whey, collagen and so forth.
Vanilla Bean By Sunwarrior
Another tasty option from Sunwarrior, this product is vegan friendly with no gluten or dairy making it a great choice for many people following special dietary needs. This supplement also uses organic brown rice and pea proteins for easy absorption, only sweetened with stevia so its healthy as well as tasty.
Teraswhey Organic Whey Protein
- Our organic, grass fed whey protein is blended with organic Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla for a perfect combination of great taste and pure health.
- Our organic, grass fed whey protein is blended with organic Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla for a perfect combination of great taste and pure health.
- Our certified USDA Organic whey protein is locally sourced from small family farms in Wisconsin, the dairy heartland of America.
- One serving contains 21 grams of whey protein
- Our protein powder is made with simple, clean ingredients and is low carb and low glycemic
- Certified Gluten Free, rBGH/rBST and antibiotic free, and Non-GMO
Recommended Reading: How Much Gold Standard Whey Protein Should I Take
Best Value For The Money: Bsn Syntha
BSN Syntha-6 Edge Low Carb Protein is one of the best tasting protein powders on the market. It is made with an exclusive flavor technology by BSN. This protein powder has 22 grams of protein and five grams of fiber per serving.
The protein powder also boasts 10 grams of essential amino acids per serving. Not only is this protein powder great to drink after workouts, but it can be consumed at any time during the day or night.
Although this protein powder comes in 7 different flavors, and all flavors have positive reviews, the chocolate flavor has been frequently reviewed as having the best taste out of all of them.
The vanilla ice cream flavor is the runner up in taste for Syntha-6. The protein powder comes in different sizes, but the most popular size is the 48-servings size.
- Compared to other protein powders, Syntha-6 has a high amount of protein per serving .
- This protein powder is great for muscle growth, recovery, and any type of active lifestyle.
- With so many different flavors paired with the exclusive flavor technology, it would be hard to find a flavor that you don’t like.
- Being mostly a protein isolate, the powder mixes well, so you don’t necessarily need a shaker to mix it.
- It provides a small amount of calcium, phosphorus, iron, and magnesium.
Nutrabio Classic Whey Protein Horchata
NutraBio Classic Whey Proteins Chocolate Milkshake flavor is the perfect protein powder if youre looking for a healthy shake alternative.
In terms of protein content, it uses whey protein concentrate, and the ingredients list is pretty cleanaside from whey protein and the flavoring agents, there are no other ingredients.
Also Check: Ump Vanilla Protein Powder
Name: Sb Organics Plant Based Vegan Protein
How does it taste?5. Good at first, then an odd, plastic-y aftertaste. Erik, very terrible aftertaste. I thought it was okay. Not as bad as the others, but still worth noting.
How well does it dissolve in almond milk?6. Mostly dissolves well, however, there are grains left everywhere from the ingredients. Maybe they need to grind it more for finer bits.
How many grams of plant based protein per serving? 21g
Bonus benefits of this vegan protein powder ? Essential vitamins and minerals, complete mix of probiotics, enzymes, amino acids, non-GMO.
Best Tasting And Overall Value: Future Kind Vegan Plant Protein Powder
Per serving: 85 calories | 20g protein | 1g carbs
Future Kind is the best overall vegan protein powder as far as Im concerned.
Im a fan of the company in general, they make only vegan products, and always use high quality ingredients.
This is a pea protein powder that stands out to me for a few reasons:
- It tastes very good, and doesnt even have any sugar
- Mixes well with no weird aftertaste
- Its affordable
- Contains a significant amount of iron, something vegans often lack
- All ingredients are organic
- Made in the USA , but ships globally
I tried to think of any negatives, but came up blank.
Its been a while, but I think it was better than any whey protein that I had in the past.
Get a 10% Discount with coupon code BEKIND10
Don’t Miss: Does Premier Protein Have Artificial Sweeteners
The Best Protein Powders 2021 And What To Look For When Buying Protein Powder
While few, if any, amateur athletes need protein powder to support their exercise regime, it can be a highly convenient way to ensure you have all the fuel required to repair and build muscle after a workout.
However, picking between the huge range of protein powders available is difficult. We spoke to Dr Daniel Fenton, GP and clinical director at London Doctors Clinic, about what people should look out for when choosing a protein powder. , but here are the key things to consider when selecting your powder.
First, check the amount of protein you get per serving thats the key number. Then compare the concentration and profile of . You want a complete source of protein that contains the nine essential amino acids, ideally with a good-sized portion of leucine. Check the amount of carbohydrates, fats and sugars in the powder. These need to be in line with your general approach to your diet. Finally, scout the ingredient list carefully for additives like thickeners, preservatives, sweeteners and fillers. Generally, the fewer of these the better.
To Promote Weight Loss
Protein powders may help you lose weight and keep it off in several ways:
Protein inhibits appetite-stimulating hormones like ghrelin, glucagon-like peptide 1 , and peptide tyrosine-tyrosine . At the same time, it increases the levels of hunger-suppressing hormones such as PYY and GLP-1. As a result, you will feel full for longer and keep hunger pangs at the bay.
It enhances your metabolism. How? Firstly, protein metabolism burns more calories than when metabolizing carbohydrates or fats. More importantly, protein has been found to induce gluconeogenesis, a process in which fats and proteins produce glucose in the absence of carbs.
You Might Also Like:
Don’t Miss: Diets For Fat Protein Efficient
Healthiest And Most Digestible: Naturade Vegansmart
Per serving: 160 calories | 20g protein | 14g carbs
A few things stood out with VeganSmart:
- Good texture, not very chalky at all.
- Bit of a bland flavor, but decent.
- A small aftertaste.
Its fairly easy to drink, but I wouldnt exactly say its a pleasure.
The real draw of VeganSmart is clear when you see its ingredients:
- Complete Protein Blend Pea Protein Isolate, Quinoa Protein, Chia Protein, Potato Protein, Chlorella Protein
- Fiber & Omega Blend Inulin, Flax Seed Powder, Bamboo Fiber, Pea Fiber, Apple Fruit Fiber, Borage Oil
- Vegan Energy Blend Organic Cane Sugar, Sunflower Oil, Medium Chain Triglycerides, Organic Rice Syrup Solids
- Whole Food Complex Apricot, Mango, Raspberry, Carrot Root, Pineapple, Broccoli, Cabbage Leaf, Beet Root, Spinach Leaf
- Digestive Enzyme Blend Bromelain, Protease, Amylase, Lipase
- Prebiotics Aloe Vera Inner Leaf
- Other Natural Flavors, Organic Stevia, Xanthan Gum
The prebiotics and digestive enzymes should help you digest your shakes better and hopefully minimize bloating and gas. This is great for any vegan with stomach problems.
Side note about prebiotics vs probiotics Probiotics are the actual good bacteria in your gut that break down food. Prebiotics are essentially dietary fiber that feed those probiotics to encourage them to grow. Both are considered healthy diet additions for most people.
This is more of a meal replacement shake, which is why the ratio of protein to calories isnt amazing.
Hydrolyzed Whey Is Best For The Elite Few
Its the most expensive form of whey, and yes, some studies have found it useful for athletes who work out twice per day and need to recover really fast. However, for the average person, it wont make a practical difference. A caveat here is that hydrolyzed whey is so broken down that its usually the whey of choice for people with milk allergies. The downsides of hydrolyzed whey one of which being that its more expensive and tastes worse probably arent worth it to most people.
Also Check: Bulkpowders Protein
How We Choose The Best Protein Powders
Our team of fitness editors, athletes, and nutrition advisors helped select the candidates for the best protein powders for every goal based on nutritional quality, taste, value, and customer feedback.
To choose our top picks, we took it a step further and used the following criteria:
- Customer Ratings and Reviews: Our customers take their protein very seriously, and they let us know through their purchases, ratings, and feedback. Every protein on this list has thousands of enthusiastic reviews and top ratings backing it up.
- Formula: Sure, the amount of protein in a serving of a powder matters. But more important is how it’s produced, the macronutrient profile, and the track record of the manufacturer. It’s important to trust your protein!
- Flavor: If a protein doesn’t taste good, you probably aren’t going to stick with it regardless of how “good for you” it might be. Life’s too short to drink bad-tasting or chalky protein.
- Value: The lowest priced protein isn’t always the best value! All of our best proteins factor in the price per serving.
Best Tasting Protein Powders
As with all our guides, we carry out meticulous research to ensure that we are covering off all the important points. We consider everything from taste, to protein content, the other ingredients that might be present, any dietary requirements along with the price per shake so that we can come up with a range of best-buy options.
Best Tasting Protein powders whilst on the face of it might seem like a generic enough category is very diverse and you can get all kinds of formulas specially designed with your goals in mind. For some the emphasis might be on bulk, for others quick recovery whilst some might be looking for the a best tasting powder to help accelerate weight loss. We consider the important factors like value, quality, and yield as well as taste and blendability. You might be surprised to find out just how little protein content some of the so-called powders out there do have!
We look at all the ingredients, analyze all the customer feedback and reviews in order to pull together our professional and comprehensive guides. All you need to worry about is choosing the flavor that tickles your taste buds!
Also Check: Special K Protein Bars Healthy
Benefits Of Protein Powder
As a general rule, protein powders come with a wide range of benefits.
First off, protein is literally an essential nutrient that helps your muscles to naturally repair themselves.
Here arejust a few of the benefits that you can expect to experience when using a high-quality protein powder supplement:
Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
Best protein powder for low calorie / low carb
Reasons to avoid
Beloved of celebs such as Jennifer Aniston, this is principally a food supplement aimed at boosting collagen.
Fans of the product rave about its positive effect on their hair, nails and skin. “Vital Proteins has been a night and day difference”, says one. There are a few less satisfied customers who claim to have suffered adverse effects such as skin break-outs and low moods, but these are very much in the minority.
It has the added bonus of providing a decent 18g of protein without any carbohydrates, though, so with only 70 calories per serving, its a useful way of adding some easy protein into your diet without acting as a meal in itself. Many users stir it into coffee or other drinks or smoothies.
Unusually for a protein powder, its a bovine collagen product, made from cow hides from grass-fed cattle, so obviously isnt suitable for vegetarians. It is unflavored and really does taste of very little indeed. It doesnt mix very easily into cold liquids , so youll need a whisk if youre taking it cold.
Best protein powder for getting shredded
Reasons to buy
Reasons to avoid
A super-refined protein product, this is the best protein powder for anyone serious about building lean muscle.
You May Like: Premier Protein Sugar
Best Tasting Vegan Protein Powder
Over the past few years, Ive tested 25 different products to try and find the best vegan protein powder.
But the aspect that most people care about most is taste what good is a protein powder if you dont want to drink it?
While taste is subjective, I followed a standardized testing process to be as fair as possible, and tried several samples of each protein powder. .
Whey Concentrate Might Not Be Great For Those With Lactose Sensitivities
Its the cheapest form and has the most calories, but whey concentrate isnt bad: The difference is usually two or three grams of protein when compared to isolate. But concentrate does contain lactose. Its not a lot, you may want to consider buying a hydrolyzed whey which is typically easier on the stomach if youre really sensitive.
Don’t Miss: Headache From Lack Of Protein
How To Make Protein Shakes Taste Better
Ive found that adding some cinnamon helps to bring out the protein shakes subtle, but oh-so-tasty flavor.
Cinnamon, is there anything youre NOT fabulous on? You just win me over every time.
Additionally, the protein powder you choose really makes a difference. The more fake and chalky the protein powder, the more wait for it fake and chalky your protein shake will taste. Its science.
We recommend Naked Protein powders.
How To Make A Protein Shake Without Banana
A lot of protein shake recipes call for a frozen banana which gives the shake that thick and creamy texture. They also add a bit of sweetness, without being too overpowering, as well as, extra nutrients like potassium.
That said, I know that some people simply dont like bananas, need a low-sugar option and/or are allergic so I have some options for how to make shakes without banana:
Read Also: Bulk Supplements Protein
Reignite Wellness Chocolate Paleo
- Kickstart Better Habits â With 21 grams of pure Paleo protein and only 1g of sugar, this great-tasting shake supports everyday energy levels, lean muscle, and healthy cartilage and ligaments.
- Bone Broth Benefits â All the benefits of bone broth without the hassle or meaty taste.
- Sensitivity Friendly â This clean Paleo protein source offers bioavailable nutritional support without dairy, gluten, corn or soy protein, eggs, artificial sweeteners or flavors.
- Nutrient Packed, Milkshake Taste â The best of both worlds.
- From New York Times Bestseller & Celebrity Nutritionist JJ Virgin â JJ Virgin has transformed lives with her comprehensive line of healthy lifestyle support products.
When Should I Take Protein Powder
There really is no best time to drink your protein shake. Contrary to the myths you may have heard, you arent going to lose all your gains if you dont drink your shake within 30 minutes of your workout. The main priority, instead, should be to make sure you are consuming enough protein overall throughout the day. Getting some protein in right before or immediately after a training session is certainly not going to hurt, but as long as your daily protein and calorie requirements are met youll be on track regardless of when you decide to enjoy your shake .
You May Like: What Drugs Cause Protein In Urine
Who Shouldnt Buy Kaged Clean Meal
- People who use protein purely as a supplement and prefer to eat their carbs and fats.
- Anyone who doesnt want to drink their calories will want to look for a protein bar.
- Lifters on a cut. Youre only allowed so many calories, and meal replacement drinks, though filling, arent as satisfying as regular foods.
You want your meal replacement powder to maintain a balanced macro profile that simply scales along with the calorie count. Clean Meal does, and, better yet, its formulated from whole food sources like oats and quinoa.
Natural Force Grass Fed Organic Whey Protein Powder Non Gmo Verified
- New Monk Fruit Sweetener You asked, we listened! The original farm to shake Organic Grass Fed Whey is now stevia free and sweetened only with organic Monk fruit!.
- Low Carb Keto Friendly Whey Protein Natural Force Organic Grass Fed Whey is certified Keto by the Paleo Foundation.
- Eco Friendly Packaging & Sustainable Sourcing Our whey is sourced from heritage breed Jersey cows that graze on lush, coastal California grasses all year long.
- 3rd Party Tested & Certified Every batch is produced in a certified cGMP facility and is 3rd party lab tested for quality and purity.
- 100% Health & Happiness Guaranteed We value our customers and want you to be healthy and happy.
Ascent Native Fuel Micellar Casein
Athletes are possibly the most consistent users of casein protein powders, so would it even make sense to have a list and not include a product specially formulated for the athletic group?
This protein supplement is certified by a global sports supplement testing program as Informed-Sport-certified.
This means it is free from banned substances, making it safe for athletes to consume.
This athlete suitable casein protein powder provides 25 grams of protein per serving and 5 grams of BCAAs.
Ascent was created with one purpose in mind: to naturally improve athletic performance, as such, the company is committed to using the best real food ingredients designed to improve muscle health and performance.
Also, Ascent Micellar Casein contains zero artificial ingredients or flavors and is naturally sweetened.
Ascent Micellar Casein is a slow-digesting protein, taking up to 6-8 hours to digest, therefore, it is best used for overnight sustained muscle growth and recovery.
It may also help prevent muscle loss during sleep.
You can use Ascent Micellar Casein to create the perfect nighttime pudding using almond milk as a snack or have between meals.