The Top 17 Healthiest Granola Bars
Our clear winner, once all criteria were taken into account, was RXBAR .
That shouldn’t come as much of a surprise once you learn that RXBARs use date paste instead of other sweeteners. According to RXBARs’ nutritional data, all of these bars contain zero grams of added sugars.
For an enlarged view of any of the following charts, simply click on the chart.
Coming in hot on RXBAR’s heels were two flavors of original KIND bars. Both score very well in terms of their fiber, protein, and both the total fat and saturated fat amounts. Total sugars are fairly low as well, but these two do contain some added sugars from honey, glucose syrup, and plain old sugar.
Some brands chose not to specify whether they contain added sugars in their nutritional facts. For these, I noted possible sources of sugar from the ingredients list, and ranked the following bars by grams of saturated fat, from least to greatest.
It’s important to note that CORE Meal bars are intended as meal replacements, not snacks. You may want to take that into consideration the next time you’re looking for a grab n’ go meal.
Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate Protein Chewy Bars
CONTAINS PEANUT, SOY AND MILK INGREDIENTS.
- Check mark icon CHEWY GRANOLA BARS: Protein Granola Bars made with rich dark chocolate chips, roasted peanuts and creamy peanut butter to blast through your next craving A must-have for an on-the-go snack or in a lunch box
- Check mark icon PROTEIN PACKED: An excellent source of protein with 10 grams per serving, for a quick and natural energy boost The perfect snack to keep you going
- Check mark icon PERFECTLY PORTABLE: Convenient bars for snack time or an on-the-go invigorating treat Perfect for the pantry, lunch box, and hiking trail
- Check mark icon HEALTHY SNACK: Hearty whole grain oats with no artificial flavors, artificial colors, or high fructose corn syrup
- Check mark icon
Sweet & Salty Caramel Cashew Granola
CONTAINS SOY AND CASHEW INGREDIENTS.
- Check mark icon SWEET AND SALTY GRANOLA: Nature Valley mixes Sweet and Salty flavors with oat clusters made with whole grain oats
- Check mark icon REAL INGREDIENTS: Hearty whole grain oats with no artificial flavors, artificial colors, or high fructose corn syrup.
- Check mark icon PROTEIN: An excellent source of protein with 12 grams per serving
- Check mark icon ON-THE-GO ENERGY: Add granola to a yogurt parfait to an easy snack, Nature Valley Sweet and Salty Granola delivers on-the-go energy so you can keep going.
- Check mark icon
How Much Protein Do Nature Valley Bars Have
Most Nature Valley bars contain only 2 to 4 grams of protein per serving. However, Nature Valley Protein bars have 10 grams of protein per bar. And Nature Valley XL Protein bars have 15 grams of protein per bar.
Nature Valleys Crunchy Granola Bars have 3 to 4 grams of protein per two-bar serving. Meanwhile, their Fruit & Nut bars have even lessonly 2 to 3 grams of protein per bar. So unless youre getting the Protein bars specifically, youre not getting much protein.
In fact, Nature Valleys non-protein bars have even less protein than Larabars. Thats quite low, as Larabars are mostly just nuts and dates.
When you look at Nature Valleys actual Protein bars, youll notice they are not vegan. The added protein is partially whey protein, and the flavors I checked also had other milk ingredients.
Nature Valley actually has two different levels of protein bars, though. Most have 10 grams of protein per bar. This includes their Chewy and Crunch protein bars. However, the XL Protein bars have 15 grams of protein per bar.
If youre really trying to get the most protein per bar, youll find other bars with more protein yet. Here are two vegan options I like with 20 grams of protein each:
Oats & Dark Chocolate Protein Granola
CONTAINS SOY MAY CONTAIN MILK INGREDIENTS.
- Check mark icon GET OUT THERE: Whether it’s granola cereal, a yogurt parfait or an easy snack, Nature Valley Protein Granola delivers energy so you can get outside and keep going
- Check mark icon PROTEIN PACKED: 13 grams of protein per serving to keep your energy high and your hunger low
- Check mark icon REAL INGREDIENTS: Hearty whole grain oats with rich dark chocolate chunks. No artificial flavors, no artificial colors, and no high fructose corn syrup
- Check mark icon ON-THE-GO SNACK: The delicious taste Nature Valley is known for, with more protein, for a feel-good indulgent protein snack that lasts
- Check mark icon
Also Check: Nature’s Bounty Protein Shake Vs Shakeology
Is Nature Valley Crunchy Healthy
Most of Nature Valley bars are quite high in sugar and calories. For that reason, they are not the best snack choice if you are looking to lose weight. If you eat too many every day, this may even cause you to gain weight so be careful! Its best to snack on fresh fruits and plain nuts if your goal is weight loss.
Is The Nature Valley Granola Cereal Good For You
Granola bars are an excellent supply of whole grains and fiber, but they are not a great source. According to Harvard Health Publishing, a decent whole grain should have 1 gram of fiber for every 10 grams of carbohydrates. Per 10 grams of carbs, this Nature Valley granola bar has slightly over half a gram of fiber.
Read Also: How To Lose Weight With Premier Protein
Nature Valley Protein Bars Ingredients Revealed
With a good balance of protein, Nature valley protein bars are the great nutritional supplement among the varieties. These healthy bars are high in protein and the amount of sugar is very low. The bars containing fiber, saturated fat and high calories tastes really delicious.
Features Of Nature Valley Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Chewy Bars:
Every bar includes 10 grams of protein and 190 calories tokeep you energetic through your next challenge.
Recommended Reading: Protein In Kind Bars
Nature Valley: Not So Natural After All
When you buy a product called Nature Valley, in a box labeled 100% natural, youre probably assuming the product is a natural, healthy choice, right?
Wrong. If you examine the ingredients in most Nature Valley products, youll find high maltose corn syrup, maltodextrin, and sometimes high fructose corn syrup 3 highly processed ingredients that do not exist in nature. These ingredients are sweeteners that may or may not be nutritionally worse than sugar, but theyre certainly not natural.
Because of this, two California moms are suing General Mills, the makers of Nature Valley, claiming that the packaging, labeling, and marketing of these products deceives consumers into believing that theyre natural and healthy. These moms say their intention is to make other parents aware that natural products are not necessarily pure, healthy, or 100% natural.
Are Nature Valley products healthy?
It depends. They wouldnt be my first choice , and some of their ingredients are definitely highly processed, but most varieties are no worse than other commercial granola bars. The problem really lies in the marketing: with images of nature and active people on their labels and in their ads, most consumers assume these are an especially healthy choice, which theyre not.
And some of their products are better than others. The regular crunchy granola bars, like the ones pictured above, are a healthier choice than either of these:
Are Nature Valley Bars Healthy
On busy mornings, many people grab a cereal bar as a convenient and fast way to ensure they have a healthy breakfast. Nature Valley bars are a commonly available snack and a popular choice as an on-the-go breakfast option, but have you ever considered just how healthy these bars are?
Weve taken a detailed look at these handy-sized snacks to find out if Nature Valley granola bars are good or bad for you. Our findings have been collated into a comprehensive review showing the ingredients used, the nutritional values and to discover if Nature Valley bars can help with weight loss as part of a calorie-controlled diet.
Read Also: Isagenix Protein Powder Ingredients
Two More Recommendations For Your Plant
1. This is the best free video training Ive found on plant-based nutrition. Youll learn how to reduce your risk of cancer, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, Alzheimers, and obesityall with plant-based food. Watch the free Food for Health Masterclass here.
2. This is the best vegan multivitamin Ive found in my 14 years of being vegan. It has vitamin B12, vitamin D, omega-3and nothing else. Translation: It only has the nutrients vegans are actually low in. Read my full review of Future Kinds multivitamin here .
I bet you’re making at least one of these 8 vegan nutrition mistakes…
Download my FREE 1-page cheat sheet with 8 commonvegan nutrition mistakes!
THRIVE on a plant-based diet with my ongoing email guidance!
What Kind Of Protein Is In Nature Valley Protein Bars
Roasted Peanuts, Soy Protein Isolate, Chicory Root Extract, Sugar, Vegetable Oils , Whey Protein Concentrate, High Maltose Corn Syrup, Cocoa, Fructose, Peanut Butter , Vegetable Glycerin, Rice Starch, Honey, Rice Maltodextrin, Salt, Soy Lecithin, Natural Flavor.
Also Check: Best Protein Treatment For Natural Black Hair
Is Nature Valley Honey And Oats Healthy
Granola with Oats and Honey from Nature Valley Granola bars are healthful , but theyre meant to give you energy rather than help you lose weight. If theyre your go-to snack, you might gain weight. Nature Valley Oats n Honey granola bars provide 29 grams of carbohydrates, 12 grams of sugar, and 2 grams of fiber in one serving.
Nature Valley Protein Bars
Protein bars are considered nutritional supplements that are produced in different flavors. Nature Valley chewy protein bars are high in protein and contain less sugar.
They come in many flavors such as Blueberry Nut, Chocolate Peanut Butter, Coconut Almond, Honey Peanut Almond, Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Salted Caramel Nut, and Peanut, Almond & Dark chocolate.
If we look at the nutrition facts of them, we will find that the calorie number is acceptable and they provide you with 10 grams of protein, which is about 20% of the daily needed protein. Also, they are a good source of fiber. They are perfect for post-exercise.
In addition, they are gluten-free. They contain 190 calories, 12 grams of fats, and 6 grams of sugar.
Nutrition facts of Nature Valley Crunchy Oats & Dark Chocolate Cereal Bars
- Calories: 199
- Fiber: 2.9 g
Also Check: Fat And Protein Efficient Metabolism Diet
The 15 Least Healthy Granola Bars
Using the rule of 5, several bars had neither enough fiber nor enough protein to keep you full for very long. The bars on this list are both low in fiber and protein and high in saturated fats.
Ranked in order from highest grams of saturated fat to lowest, here is the bottom of the original list of 230 bars.
The LÄRABAR Original Bar in Coconut Cream Pie is number 230 in our rankings, due to a combination of low fiber and protein and high saturated fat content.
These bars are ranked from highest to lowest grams of saturated fat within each brand.
There are bars that contained lower grams of both fiber and protein, but they also contained lower grams of saturated fat, so I didn’t consider them to be as outright unhealthy as the bars above.
Finally, for comparison, here are the nutritional stats for a regular Snickers bar. If it wasn’t for all that sugar, the Snickers could fit right in with some granola bars on this list.
Sign up here to get INSIDER’s favorite stories straight to your inbox.
What Are The Nutrition Facts For Nature Valley Oats ‘n Honey
Nature Valley started out as a cereal manufactured by General Mills in 1973, but it was quickly followed by the granola bar in 1975.
Video of the Day
Today, you can find a number of different types of Nature Valley granola bars: crunchy, chewy, sweet or salty. The Nature Valley Oats ‘n Honey bar is a crunchy variety that is low in saturated fat and a source of fiber and iron, but it’s also a little high in calories. Here’s a breakdown of the nutrition facts :
- âSugar:â 12 grams
- âProtein:â 4 grams
What Are Nature Valley Bars
Nature Valley is an American brand that has many different bars, granola, and snacks, which is owned by General Mills. There are a variety of granola bars, cereals, and snacks that are produced by it. Nature Valley bars come in seven types, which are crunchy bars, sweet and salty bars, nut bars, wafer bars, protein bars, fruit and nut bars, and layered granola nut bars.
Nutrition Facts About Nature Valley Granola Bars
You may already have the answer to your question are Nature Valley granola bars healthy, here are some other nutrition facts about Nature Valley bars for your understanding.
- Calories: You may consider Nature Valley granola bars a good midday snack because it has calories ranging from 90 to 190 calories per bar. Try crunchy granola bars if you’re a bit concerned about calories and avoid Roasted Nut Crunch bars because they have the highest calories.
- Carbohydrates: You can get anywhere between 13g and 26g of carbohydrates in Chewy with Yogurt, Chewy Trail Mix, and Sweet and Salty bars.
- Fats: It usually depends on the content used to make the granola bar. For most of these bars, fat content stays between 3g and 13g per bar. The Roasted Nut bars have the highest amount of fat, whereas the Crunchy Granola bar has the least amount of it.
- Other Nutrients: These bars will also have a small amount of protein, dietary fiber, and very little sodium. They have no cholesterol.
You May Like: Can Premier Protein Help You Lose Weight
Food Fight: Great Grains Protein Blend Vs Nature Valley Protein Crunchy Granola
The ol honey n oats flavor of granola has been popular for a long time, but which one is the best? With so many to choose from, I tend to stand in the grocery aisle for a while as I compare nutrients, ingredients and pricing. So, its time to let Fit Bottomed Eats take over and give you our opinion on Great Grains Protein Blend and Nature Valley Protein Crunchy Granola. Two varieties that have a honey n oats thing going on plus added protein. On your mark get crunchin go!
Do Nature Valley Bars Have Fiber
All the Nature Valley bars I checked have between 2 and 8 grams of fiber per serving. Most of Nature Valley bars are on the low end of that range, with 2 to 3 grams of fiber per serving.
Heres a list showing roughly how much fiber you can expect per serving from each of the Nature Valley product lines:
- Sweet & Salty Nut Bars: ~2g fiber or less
- Crunchy Granola Bars: ~2g fiber
- Fruit & Nut Bars: ~2g fiber
- Nut Bars: ~2g fiber
- Crunch protein bars: ~2g fiber
- Sustained Energy Bars: ~3g fiber
- Wafer Bars: ~3g fiber
- Soft-Baked Muffin Bars: ~4g fiber
- Chewy protein bars: ~5g fiber
- XL Protein bars: ~7g fiber
For exact nutrition facts on all flavors, refer to the Nature Valley website.
Also Check: Headache From Lack Of Protein
What Is In Nature Valley Oats ‘n Honey Protein Crunchy Granola Cereal
In this 28 oz bag, you will receive crunchy clusters of whole grain oats, honey, molasses and more. The combination tastes delicious as is or when combined with other foods. There is a lot of goodness in this Nature Valley cereal. It has everything from 10 grams of protein to a 10% daily serving of iron. There are also 25 grams of whole grain per serving.
What Is Nature Valley
The mission behind the Nature Valley team is to provide healthful food that will provide its customers with natural energy. No artificial ingredients or high fructose corn syrup is used. Everything that you taste in a product like Nature Valley Oats ‘n Honey Protein Crunchy Granola Cereal is natural and balanced. It is food that you can feel good about eating and putting into your body. The Nature Valley cereal company partners up with national parks with monetary donations so that trails are able to be restored.
You May Like: Which Milk Has The Most Protein
Is Protein Good For Weight Loss
Its important for weight loss to have a good amount of the food source, called leptin. It is possible to support a healthy metabolism and reduce appetite with the right amount of nutrition. It is possible to lose body fat without losing strength. Adding more protein to your diet is an easy way to help you lose weight.
Is Nature Valley Granola Bar Good For You
Granola bars are becoming quite popular these days as a healthy, on-the-go snack. It is easy to purchase them in any supermarket. You can buy them in boxes of 6 to 12 bars. Nature Valley, which is the part of the General Mills family of products, offers a wide range of granola bars for you to choose from. The question many people ask is whether Nature Valley granola bars are healthy. To get the answer, you will have to know a bit more about the nutrition information of these granola bars. Keep reading to find out more.
Don’t Miss: Protein Powder Like Shakeology