How To Make The Shake
It is very hard! LOL, Just joking.
Just put all the ingredients above into your blender. We use a Nutribullet blender as its easy to make consistently, easy to clean and simply drink out of the cup as its shaped like a shake bottle with its lid accessory.
Blend 10-15 seconds should be more than enough.
Drink straight away, or store it in a sealed bottle to take for a post-workout shake.
You can also add some ice cubes if you like.
Variations For A Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
Not only is a smoothie a fantastic vehicle for nutritious food during the day, but is also very adaptable to your liking. Here are easy variations for this recipe:
- Chocolate. Thinking of having a chocolate peanut butter banana smoothie to stave off the temptation of a less healthy dessert? Add a few teaspoons of cocoa powder or a scoop of chocolate protein powder, and this very well may replace your favorite milkshake.
- Protein Powder. This peanut butter banana smoothie has protein because of the peanut butter and Greek yogurt. But if you need an extra boost in your banana smoothie after a workout, add a ½ to 1 scoop of your favorite protein powder .
- Bowl Style. For a new twist, try a peanut butter banana smoothie bowl. Add extra banana or ice to thicken it further, then serve it in a bowl with toppings, such as granola, banana slices, or blueberries, and a drizzle of additional peanut butter.
Peanut Butter Banana Protein Shake Ingredients
Alright, so lets talk ingredients. To make this homemade peanut butter banana protein shake, you will need:
- Protein Powder: This is used to boost the protein content of your smoothie immensely. If you can, use an organic protein powder that contains no additives, fillers, artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners, or preservatives. I use and a recommend this one from Thrive Market.
- Peanut Butter: This adds additional protein and nutty flavor. Not all nut butters are created equal, so I recommend using one that has no added sugars, unhealthy oils, or preservatives. I use this one from Thrive Market.
- Banana: This gives your smoothie a rich and creamy consistency. It is also a great source of potassium and dietary fiber.
- Milk: This serves as the liquid base for the smoothie. I usually use low-fat dairy milk.
- Honey: This adds natural and unrefined sweetness. Not all packaged honey is created equal, so I recommend using one that is 100% pure, raw, and unfiltered for optimal health benefits. I use this one from Thrive Market.
- Ice: This helps thicken the shake. Although, if I dont have any ice in the freezer, I just make my protein shake without it.
- Vanilla extract: This adds a hint of sweet vanilla flavor. Make sure you use the real, natural stuff and not anything artificial.
Recommended Reading: Vega One Nutritional Shake Vs.shakeology
How Much Protein Is In A Banana
Did you know an average banana contains 3% of your daily value of protein? Meaning, this banana protein shake is not only super delicious, but its also full of banana protein-y goodness. And who doesnt love banana protein-y goodness?
This banana protein shake makes it into our breakfast rotation probably every other day, but at least 2-3 times a week. Not sure on the math of that, but I think you get the point. THIS protein shake < we enjoy often
Its super delicious, and is full of banana protein-y goodness.
While some of my other shake recipes use a banana, they dont really accentuate the banana-ness like this one does.
I get asked a lot about what protein powder I recommend. And, really, the truth isit depends. It depends on your taste, what type of protein youre looking for, your dietary goals , your price point, and probably a few other categories Im forgetting.
So, you can see, this is a hard question.
Im honestly still on the lookout for a clean, high-quality protein that tastes good and isnt literally worth an arm and a leg .
Quinoa Chickpea Salad Vegan Meal Prepping Made Easy
This Quinoa Chickpea Salad is the perfect vegan lunch idea. It’s easy to make, high protein, satisfying, and perfect for planning ahead! If you’re looking for a healthy vegan high protein meal prepping idea, then give this one a try. Quinoa Chickpea Salad The ingredients may be unusual to find, but once you have sourced…
You May Like: What Milk Has The Most Protein
How To Make A Protein Shake Without Banana
A lot of protein shake recipes call for a frozen banana which gives the shake that thick and creamy texture. They also add a bit of sweetness, without being too overpowering, as well as, extra nutrients like potassium.
That said, I know that some people simply dont like bananas, need a low-sugar option and/or are allergic so I have some options for how to make shakes without banana:
Chocolate Cherry Awesomeness Shake
Research suggests that cherries can ease soreness after a workout, making this a perfect recovery shake, says St. Pierre. BLEND THIS:12 oz water, milk, or yogurt2 scoops chocolate flavored protein powder2 cups of sweet dark cherries, pits removed1 cups of spinach1 tbsp ground flax1 tbsp cacao nibs or dark cocoa powder530 calories, 56 g protein, 13 g fat, 47 g carbs, 9 g fiber
Recommended Reading: Can You Lose Weight Only Drinking Protein Shakes
Is It Bad To Put Peanut Butter In Your Protein Shake
Its definitely okay and smart to put peanut butter in your protein shake. Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient! Peanut butter has all 3 of the macronutrients we need daily, those being fat, protein, and carbs.
So yes, go ahead and add peanut butter to your shake as I did in this recipe. It tastes great, too!
Fresh Protein Shake Ingredients
Of course! You can totally go all FRESH instead. Fresh spinach, kale, or power greens are amazing. If you dont want to buy the greens in a canister, go ahead and get the real deal.
Always at the ready with bananas, I keep a small bag in the freezer. Next time your bananas go ripe because no one is eating them, try this method peel them, break them into half chunks, smush flat, and freeze them individually.
They will break up easily in the blender and are ready to grab at a moments notice.
You May Like: Protein Powder Like Shakeology
Banana Protein Shake Recipe Tips
Use almond milk or any other plant milk instead of water for extra creaminess
Add a teaspoon of chia seeds or flaxseeds for additional protein
Add an extra banana for additional calories
Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract or vanilla essence to make it a vanilla banana protein shake
Add frozen spinach or kale to make it a green banana smoothie
How To Make A Hearty Protein Shake With A Shaker Cup
For this one, everythings straightforward and hassle-free. You just need to have a shaker cup, with its airtight lid and mixing ball.
- Place 1-1/2 cup milk in a clean shaker cup
- Add one scoop of Vanilla Protein powder and one chopped well-ripe banana
- Secure the lid of the container, and shake it vigorously
- Shake. Shake. Shake, until all the ingredients dissolve into the liquid.
- Pour the protein shake into a drinking glass, or sneak the shaker cup into your bag and head to the gym.
The use of the banana in this case is to enhance the taste of your protein smoothie. It also packs numerous essential vitamins and minerals, including Vitamin B6, manganese, potassium, and copper. Hence, aiding in metabolism, digestive health, and muscle recovery along the way.
Thanks to the contained mixing mechanism, the shaker can cut through even the thickest ingredients, including bananas and nut butter. So, you have a better chance to customize your shake to your desired taste.
Read Also: How To Lose Weight With Premier Protein
What Is In This Orange Protein Shake
Because youre making this shake at home, youre kicking unhealthy ingredients and weird preservatives to the curb. This results in a whole lot of simplicity and freshness. Heres what youll need:
- Almond milk : You can use your milk of choice, but this makes it vegan-friendly and perfectly compatible if youre avoiding dairy.
- Orange: This vibrant fruit also carries collagen boosting and immunity benefits.
- Banana : Another fave smoothie hack of mine that adds a creamy, ice cream-esque texture. I began doing this for my chocolate banana nice cream recipe and never looked back.
- Greek Yogurt : An extra dose of protein and probiotics is always a good idea. Greek yogurt is terrific for dips, smoothies, soups, and anything that needs thickening .
- Vanilla Protein Powder: Look for brands with minimal ingredients and zero fillers. I like using this one. It only has three ingredients and offers a good 25 grams of protein per serving.
How Much Protein In Banana Alone
According to the USDA, there is about 1 gram of protein in a medium banana. Bananas, even if high in sugar, have a lot of nutrition and make a wonderful food choice. For this recipe, adding in the additional protein powder is a must, but dont discount the fact that many of your favorite fruits will also have some protein.
You May Like: Nature’s Bounty Protein Shake Vs Shakeology
How To Make Healthy Protein Shakes
This recipe could not be easier to make youll be sipping on your healthy banana protein shake in no time. Simply place all your ingredients in your blender and blend until smooth.
Serve this protein shake with your favorite toppings. We drizzled ours with drippy peanut butter, and added a dollop of whipped coconut milk to the top, which wed highlyyy recommend. All you need to do is put a whole can of coconut milk in the freezer, and once its chilled, remove the can and scoop out JUST the solidified coconut milk at the top of the can. Whip until smooth and airy with your hand mixer. Feel free to add a dash of maple or honey to give this whip a little sweetness if you so choose. Dollop away!
Tips For Making Homemade Protein Shakes
Here are some things I have learned over the years about making protein shakes:
Recommended Reading: 21 Day Fix Shakeology Alternatives
Benefits Of Protein Shakes
Protein shakes satisfy hunger. Thats a big benefit in my mind because, after a workout, Im ravenous. And maybe Im heading off to work or to take the kids on an outing and need energy fast. Thats when I reach for a chocolate banana peanut butter protein shake!
- Protein shakes are great for muscle recovery
- Protein shakes can replace a meal
- Protein shakes can help increase muscle mass when you exercise
Whats In This Green Protein Smoothie
This green smoothie is the best combo of creaminess and nuttiness that youll ever have! But what exactly is in it?
I cant tell you enough how amazing my body feels whenever I drink these green protein smoothies. Im not kidding! And if theres any ingredient that you prefer to use, go for it. Everything is customizable.
Don’t Miss: Protein Powder Vs Shakeology
Healthy Chocolate And Banana Protein Shake Recipe
Hey gang, heres a fun recipe to fool your not-so-healthy-food-loving kids or spouse. If thats a thing in your world? This healthy chocolate and banana protein shake recipe is really delicious and no one will ever guess how clean and healthy it is.
I love to recall the time, my son yelled to me, after enjoying a few heaping spoonfuls, Hey Mom, next time you just need to add more ice cream! Lol. Mission accomplished.
These days, Ive been making it all for my lone self. The recipe makes two full servings, so I freeze half and its ready to grab anytime.
Its especially great to take along when you are late for something and running out the door. Suddenly you look so prepared and put together. Your welcome.
Shelf Stable Smoothie Ingredients
This recipe has you fully covered. Protein, check. Healthy fat check. Healthy carb, check. In a pinch, its a bonafide meal replacement. Get yourself a good quality protein powder, and top-notch greens supplement and you are halfway there.
Everything is shelf-stable to keep you blending all year long. Thats what I love about the greens powder, its still there for you after your spinach has gone bad.
Recommended Reading: Can Premier Protein Help You Lose Weight
Are Bananas Good For Putting In Protein Shakes
Protein shakes are a quick and simple solution to morning madness, and they offer a satisfying solution to post-workout hunger pangs. Bananas are an excellent addition to any protein shake because, not only do they offer a sweet flavor and creamy texture, but they’re packed with powerful nutrients and enough fiber to keep you feeling full until lunchtime.
Bananas are an excellent addition to protein shakes because they’re sweet, creamy and packed with nutrition.
What Protein Powder Is Best For Healthy Shake Recipes
Eeeeverybody has their opinion on protein powder. We talk a lot about our favorite protein powders in this Guide to the Best Protein Powder. However, taste buds, dietary restrictions, and definitions of clean eating are so different for everyone! Personally, we love SFH Pure Whey Vanilla Protein Powder for whey protein and Garden of Life Raw Organic Vanilla Protein Powder for our vegan protein option. They taste great in smoothies and shakes and both have clean ingredient labels.
That being said, any vanilla protein powder will work for this smoothie. You do you and use your favorite protein in this healthy banana protein shake!
Read Also: Special K Protein Cereal Healthy
How To Make This Recipe With Vanilla Protein Powder
If you want to use vanilla protein powder instead of plain protein powder in this recipe, you definitely can. I recommend using a high-quality vanilla protein powder that is naturally flavored and sweetened, like this one from Thrive Market.
To make your shake, simply make the recipe as written below , but omit the honey. If your protein shake is not sweet enough after youve blended it, then feel free to sweeten it to taste with honey or another natural sweetener.
Make The Best Peanut Butter Banana Protein Shake With Drink Wholesome
You are reading a post by Drink Wholesome, a small business from New Hampshire. Drink Wholesome has taken a fundamentally better approach to protein powder by using 100% real food ingredients. Ingredients like these are not only better for you, but also better tasting. Sick of protein powders that upset your stomach? Sick of protein powders with a terrible aftertaste? Order samples to see if Drink Wholesome is right for you.
This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
Recommended Reading: Shakeology Alternatives 2018
Nutrition Info You Can Trust
Our in-house associate nutritionist holds a Masters degree in Human Nutrition, a bachelors degree in Sports Science and English, and a Diploma in Personal Training. She has over 15 years of experience in the health and fitness industry, working with leading health clubs, equipment manufacturers, and one-to-one clients.
Tips For Making This Homemade Protein Shake Recipe
Here are some pointers I have learned over the years about how to make the best homemade protein shakes:
Also Check: Protein In Kind Bars