Low Carb Vegan Protein Bars
No Sugar Required
These healthy protein bars are a great homemade alternative to Perfect Bars or Quest Bars. Whip up a batch in under 5 minutes, and you might never want to spend money on another packaged protein bar ever again.
Also Try This Keto Ice Cream Recipe
Ive gotten a lot of requests from readers to come up with a homemade keto protein bar recipe, and this one is super quick and easy.
You simply stir all of the ingredients together to form a dough, shape into bars or squares, and refrigerate or freeze until chilled.
Theyre great for an on-the-go snack, with 10 grams of protein and under 2 grams net carbs per bar.
Feel free to use your favorite protein powder, and the recipe can easily be doubled or tripled if you want to make up a big batch for meal prep.
You May Also Like: Vegan Chocolate Mousse 3 Ingredients
Above watch the video of how to make keto protein bars.
Also Check: What Are Some Healthy Protein Snacks
What Are The Benefits Of Keto Friendly Protein Bars
- If you’re working out or lifting weights you may require twice as much protein as the average adult. Protein bars are a great way to supplement your daily protein intake.
- Some protein bars are high in both protein and fiber which help suppress your appetite.
- Protein bars can lead to muscle protein synthesis. When you exercise your muscles are damaged. Protein helps rebuild those muscles stronger than before. It can help you recover from a workout.
- Some studies have found that an increase in protein leads to increased strength and power.
- They can help you increase your lean mass.
- Eating protein bars can lead to a reduction in body fat. You can increase your metabolism slightly by eating protein bars. It can help increase satiety or the feeling of fullness. It can also reduce the hunger hormone in your body.
- They can help stabilize your blood sugar. Many studies have found that protein can help reduce the risk for some diseases such as diabetes, obesity, stroke risk, and similar conditions
- A high fiber protein bar can help reduce your blood pressure. A study showed that protein and fiber can help reduce your blood pressure if you have hypertension.
- Protein bars can help lower LDL and overall cholesterol levels. Lowering it can improve your health and reduce your risk of heart disease or strokes.
- The combination of protein and calcium found in most protein bars can increase bone strength.
What To Look For When Choosing Protein Bars
Protein has been shown to help you help keep you full, curb cravings, and boost your metabolism by increasing the thermogenic process in your body .
It also plays an important role in your mental health by improving your concentration and warding off depression. This is because many neurotransmitters in your brain are made of amino acids .
Finally, you need protein to help build lean muscle and help your body repair itself after injury or illness. As you can see, protein is one macronutrient you dont want to become low in .
Protein bars are great because of their convenience. They come prepackaged and can be taken just about anywhere. You might not be able to smuggle a T-bone steak into the movie theater the next time you want to enjoy a snack, but no one is going to complain if you open a protein bar.
Additionally, many protein bars are fortified with vitamins and minerals, which can make them a great way to get some added nutrients in.
The problem with most protein bars is that many of them are no different than your favorite candy treat in terms of nutrition. Theyre highly processed, loaded with copious amounts of sugar or artificial sweeteners, and contain partially hydrogenated oils. Indulging in most commercial protein bars can send your glucose levels soaring and kick you right out of ketosis.
To prevent this from occurring, were put together a list of tips to help you pick out the best one.
#1. Become a label reader
#2. Focus on ingredients
Don’t Miss: Can I Buy Protein Powder With Food Stamps
How Many Protein Bars Can I Eat A Day
Like any other food or drink in life, snacks for weight loss goals must be eaten in moderation and with a well-rounded low-carb or keto diet to give the most benefit to the consumer.
There are lots of factors contributing to any favorable/adverse side effects of excessive proteins.
These range from the ingredients used, to the calories within the bar itself and the serving size of the product.
Top Reviews From The United States
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
1.0 out of 5 stars
Disclaimer: While we work to ensure that product information is correct, on occasion manufacturers may alter their ingredient lists. Actual product packaging and materials may contain more and/or different information than that shown on our Web site. We recommend that you do not solely rely on the information presented and that you always read labels, warnings, and directions before using or consuming a product. For additional information about a product, please contact the manufacturer. Content on this site is for reference purposes and is not intended to substitute for advice given by a physician, pharmacist, or other licensed health-care professional. You should not use this information as self-diagnosis or for treating a health problem or disease. Contact your health-care provider immediately if you suspect that you have a medical problem. Information and statements regarding dietary supplements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or health condition. Amazon.com assumes no liability for inaccuracies or misstatements about products.
Recommended Reading: Can You Buy Pedialyte With Ebt
Finding Good Keto Protein Bars Is Not Easy
As weve seen, there are a number of pitfalls when it comes to finding the right keto friendly protein bar for you. Youll need to look for something that is high in healthy protein, and even higher in fat, well also being free of unhealthy sugar alcohols, synthetic fibers and preservatives. Avoid GMOs as well. And dont forget about taste, it doesnt matter how healthy something is if youre not going to eat it!
For more information, read Human Food Bars reviews of the 10 best low-carb protein bars for keto.
Are All Those Built Bar Reviews True Our Final Thoughts
To recap, the nutrition facts do reflect that they are technically keto. However, we had concerns regarding the artificial taste and texture.
Yes, Built Bars are low-sugar, low in net carbs, high in protein and taste like a real candy bar. But is this great-tasting protein bar one of the best protein bars to be eating every day on a keto diet? Maybe and maybe not.
There are many healthy protein bars that can offer a more favorable fat content than the Built Bar, though they may be a little higher in calories. Here is a list of protein bars that we have ranked.
While decent, they seemed far too much like a candy bar for us to consider keeping them in the house, much less eating them every day.
The combination of tastes-like-candy-bar flavor and irresistible texture can make it hard to stop yourself from eating the entire box especially when a flavor like peanut butter, salted caramel or chocolate is involved.
And if youve followed a keto diet for a while, you know that a little too much fiber or sugar alcohols in one sitting can spell bad news for your poor tummy.
However, many people absolutely love the taste and consider them a keto treat they can indulge in when theyre craving a candy bar.
Recommended Reading: Is Slimfast Covered By Food Stamps
How About A Meat Bar
With hundreds of bars to choose from, there are many odd entries in the keto bar category. But meat bars probably take the cake. While most people find them disgusting, there are some passionate fans and followers. Typically they are more likely to be Paleo dieters than keto, because meat bars generally are high in protein and low in carbs, but not high in fat. Therefore they are not the ideal choice for people on ketogenic diet.
Musclepharm Combat Crunch Bars
Combat Crunch bars dont taste like the others on this list theyre baked, so they have the texture of a cookie.
That wont sound so appealing when you find out they have 15 grams of net carbs.
And thats not the worst news: Combat Crunch bars still use IMO, so you cant trust their net carb count to be accurate. In reality, it probably works out to more than 20 grams of net carbs.
Check out the rest of the stats for the popular Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough flavor:
- Calories: 210
Don’t Miss: Can You Buy Weight Loss Shakes With Food Stamps
Low Carb Keto Sweeteners
A sticky sweetener is necessary for these bars to hold shape.
While there are quite a few keto-approved granulated sweeteners , neither of these will work for this recipe.
I used a monk fruit sweetened maple syrup, which works really well and has a nice, sweet taste. You can order it online and in health food shops.
One Protein Bars Vs Chocoperfection And Keto Bars
As you can see, when comparing One protein energy bars to the best keto-friendly treats out there by net carbs per 100 calories, which is the most consistent indicator of keto friendliness, it’s not even close. If youre looking for a meal-replacement or snack bar, Id recommend Keto Bars. If youre looking for an ultra-low carb sweet treat, I recommend ChocoPerfectionchocolate.
Recommended Reading: Can I Buy Protein Powder With Ebt
Does Protein Adversely Affect Blood Sugar
One of the arguments made in favor of keeping protein on the lower end is that higher intakes may increase blood sugar and insulin levels. This is an occasional anecdotal report from our members and others with diabetes. However, there appears to be a disconnect between anecdotes and published research.25
For instance, two studies showed that a diet with 30% of calories from protein improved glycemic control.26 In fairness, it was compared to a higher-carb diet, but nonetheless, the higher protein intake did not blunt the benefit of lowering carbs.
Protein has been shown to lower blood glucose in other studies of people with type 2 diabetes too.27 Protein may slightly increase insulin concentrations acutely, but high protein diets are not known to cause hyperinsulinemia .28 High protein in the context of a carbohydrate reduced diet may even lower fasting insulin levels.29 In fact, the acute rise in insulin after a meal is probably one of the reasons why protein helps keep blood sugar low.
One of the biggest concerns with a high protein diet is that the amino acids in protein get converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis. In fact, well-conducted physiological studies show that protein is not a meaningful contributor to blood glucose either in healthy people or people with type 2 diabetes.30 Even a meal with 50 grams of protein didnt cause a significant increase in blood sugar.31
At Diet Doctor, most of our keto recipes are moderate rather than high in protein.
G Net Carbs 9g Protein 16g Fat
Gluten-free? Zenwise has what you need: “The Zenwise Health Keto-Crave Energy Bar is gluten-free, which makes it a great option for people that can’t eat gluten,” says Ernestam. “It also contains a fair bit of protein which is good for weight management, muscle function, and cardiovascular health.”
Don’t Miss: Which Protein Powder Can I Buy With Food Stamps
G Net Carbs 13g Protein 7g Fat
For those who prefer savory over sweet, Epic Provisions Chicken Egg Yolk and Apple Bar is one of plenty savory keto protein bars on the market: “This bar is deliciously savory, making it a better option for someone struggling with sweet-tooth cravings,” says Ernestam. “Compared to other bars, this bar has a ‘cleaner’ ingredient list, as many of the ingredients are actually spices. mainly made with animal products, this bar contains no sweeteners, making it a more friendly option for those with a sensitive gut.”
Meal Replacement Bars: 8 That May Kick You Out Of Ketosis
How do you find the best meal replacement bars when youre on aketogenic diet?
Is it OK to replace meals with prepackaged bars that are most likely loaded with carbs and sugar?
Whats the difference between a meal replacement bar and a protein bar, anyway?
Are meal replacement bars even healthy?
Despite the marketing claims made by many popular health bars, these can be anything but healthy when ketosis is your goal.
They may be low-calorie, low-sugar, soy-free, and non-GMO, but those things alone dont necessarily make them a healthy snack, much less a nutrient-rich meal replacement.
Recommended Reading: Can You Buy Nutrisystem With Ebt
Tips For Further Personalization 22
- Adjust the protein portions up or down as needed, but dont be concerned about hitting an exact target. Remember, your ideal protein range is pretty broad, and you should feel completely free to vary the amount you eat by 30 grams or even more from day to day. If you are lower in protein one day, try to add extra the following day.
- If youre an intermittent faster, you may want to increase the protein portions at the two meals you eat somewhat. For instance, in the 70-gram example above, either eat larger portions of fish at lunch and chicken at dinner, or add hard-boiled eggs at lunch and have a piece of cheese after dinner.
- If you eat one meal per day it may be a challenge to get adequate protein intake. Consider eating OMAD a few times per week, with higher protein intake on the other days. Or, if you prefer the consistency of OMAD every day, consider eating within a 2-hour time window. That allows you to eat your meal and still have time to snack on nuts, cheese, or meats to increase your protein.
- Eat nuts and seeds at meals or as snacks. Keep in mind that they provide about 2-6 grams of protein per quarter cup or 30 grams . But beware, they contain some carbs and lots of fat calories, which can add up quickly. Therefore, being cautious with nut intake is a good idea for most people, especially if youre trying to lose weight.
Dont Miss: What Causes High Protein In Blood
More Like Pure Garbage: Maltitol Sucralose Palm Kernal Oil Oh My
Low-carb protein bars are a minefield for keto dieters, because many people on the diet think that just being low in net carbs is good enough. Any bar that markets itself as low-carb is almost certainly a poor choice for keto. Yet, Amazon searches for keto bar return many such bars. This is definitely a problem.
Pure Protein bars are a perfect example of a horrible bar that somehow sells well on Amazon, presumably because some like the taste . Seeing as it looks like a candy bar and contains copious amounts of maltitol and sucralose, I cant say that I am surprised.
Its hard to imagine anything worse than a Quest Bar, but Pure Protein manages. It has less fiber and fat, and more artificial ingredients.
Macros: 21g protein, 4g fat, 2g fiber, 7g net carbs
Are One Protein Bars Keto Friendly
Certainly Not! One Protein Bars are, in fact, far from being Keto-friendly, and these include all their flavors. Keto diet prescribes a low carb diet but allows reasonably high-fat content.
Some keto dieters warned against sugar alcohol, which upsets the digestive process. Any ingredient with a potential glycemic index result in elevating the blood sugar but it is different for different people.
The One Protein Bars have 19 flavors, the main highlight is the high protein content which also satisfies the people who search for a low carb diet.
What Will I Learn?
How To Make Keto Protein Bars
Im going to show you how to make the best keto protein bar recipe! They take just 15 minutes to make and are better than anything youll find in the store.
- Mix together the dough for keto approved bars. In a food processor, pulse blanched hazelnuts until they reach a fine meal-like consistency. Add in almond flour, cocoa powder, protein powder, Besti powdered sweetener, and sea salt. Pulse a few times to combine.
TIP: Blanched hazelnuts ensure a smooth texture in your bars. If yours have skins, roast them in the oven for a few minutes at 350 degrees until toasty, then rub between 2 sides of a kitchen towel to remove the skins before using in this protein bar recipe.
- Add wet ingredients. Add almond butter and melted cocoa butter to food processor and process continuously until a dough forms and starts to pull away from the center. When you are processing the bar dough, scrape down the sides frequently so that all of the ingredients are getting incorporated.
TIP: The dough should be firm and shiny, and feel firm to the touch.
- Form bars. Press the protein bar dough tightly into the lined pan.
TIP: Secure the edges of the parchment paper to the pan with clips. This helps the parchment paper from sliding around.
- Chill bars. Place the high protein low carb protein bars into the fridge until very firm.
- Cut and store bars. Lift the bars out of the pan and slice.
Recommended Reading: Can You Buy Whey Protein With Ebt